Freedom is important. It is drilled in us that without which life is not worth enjoying. People fight and die for it.
In 1521, Spain discovered and subsequently colonized the Philippines. After 300 plus years of presence in the country, Filipinos fought and some lost their lives to set the country free. The Spanish eventually sold Philippines to the Americans. The American presence was considered by some as short of genuine freedom. In 1991, Mt. Pinatubo erupted, part of central Luzon was destroyed, including an American Air Force base, which lead to the bases abandonment.
Closer to home, in the 1789, the French revolution took place. It was the voice of the people against the monarchy. One thing significant with this revolution was the riddance of France’s Judeo-Christian ethics . Across the Atlantic, in 1775, the American revolution took place. There is however a significant difference between these revolutions. The American revolution was to break away from Britain but established that freedom came from God and not from the people or gov’t. Because it is God-given freedom, no gov’t can take it away. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a God-given gift. Since it is God-given freedom, hence, it cannot be interpreted outside Judeo-Christian idea.
Galatians 5:1 (NKJV) Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Stand fast means to pray – a supernatural position. Since God has set us free, we need to stand fast, to pray and guard our freedom preciously in Chris and not be subjected again to slavery .
- Freedom is free. Christ gives it to us. It is not because of what we have done that we have received freedom
- Freedom is not free. It cost God a lot. God paid the price of freedom by giving His only Son. Of which you and I cannot buy it for ourselves. Christ died when we were slaves to sin when we were enemies of God so we could be set free. God paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
- We need to stand in this freedom and not move, in other words, to not let anyone steal it from us
WHAT WAS HAPPENING AT THE CHURCH IN GALATIA? There was a church split.
- The first group: A large group of Gentiles was converted to Christianity. This group says that convert need to abide by the Jewish law particularly circumcision. Salvation in Christ was a fulfillment of the covenant – the gentiles were grafted into. Enslave to the law.
- The second group: a convert has been set free in Christ, hence, no longer subjected to the law. The individual has eternal life. None of the law matters. The convert can sin, commit adultery, fornication, steal, murder. There is the absolute assurance of salvation. In other words, FREEDOM is self-indulgent.
Paul says that both are extreme bondages. We have been set free indeed, including being free from the following: Self-destructive pride; the lust of the flesh; Self-centeredness, greed, and self-indulgent living.
We are free because our freedom was paid by the death of the son of God – to be transformed into the image of God. We may not have all things, because we are in Christ, we have the potential to be the kind of people God wants to be – image of Christ. Life is not entitlement; what is in it for me, but to live the life of Christ.
Genesis 12:2 (NKJV) – I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great, And you shall be a blessing. Galatians 5:13 (NKJV) 13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
The shifting. In the 60’s Instead of understanding that progress is building upon the old values, people rid themselves of the old; the old is out of date-replace them with something new. Judeo-Christian ethics is passé (out of date); it is a bad thing, racist and narrow-minded and needs replacement.
A psychological value system now replaces it.
- To find yourself, you need to look into yourself. You find yourself in yourself. Counselling has replaced prayer.
- People may not criticize other people’s life choices particularly their sexual life choices. It is personal and is a private matter.
- Happiness is the highest goal in life. I don’t care what my children do as long as they are happy. They must be happy all the time, if not something is wrong.
- People can believe whatever they want as long as those beliefs don’t affect others and society.
- Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Opinions have replaced facts. Facts cannot interfere with views. I have the right to my own opinion.
- Any sexual experience between 2 consensual human beings is fine.
- Teach children to make decisions in life according to their best interest
The new self-indulgent, self-serving morality leads to a new form of legalism. THOUGH SHALL BE TOLERANT; YOU WILL RESPECT DIVERSITY AND MULTICULTURALISM: Cannibalism; Women cannot drive a car; women cannot go out by themselves; Women circumcision are all cultures. YOU SHALL NOT IMPEDE OR STAY ON THE WAY OF ANYONE’S HAPPINESS.
WHAT CHRISTIANITY TEACHES US: To find yourself is not to look into yourself but to God. Joy is found not in taking things, but in sharing God-given blessing others, who are in need and less fortunate. Life is not what you take out of it but what you put into it. The highest goal in life is to give Him the glory. God gives us the freedom to believe whatever we want to believe, however, we need to aware that anything we believe impacts our lives, family and society. There is the TRUTH, and that is JESUS CHRIST. God has set sexual boundaries to protect women and children.
FOOTNOTE: Richard Dawkins, prominent atheist author and evolutionary biologist, has warned against celebrating what some call the demise of Christianity in Europe. “Before we rejoice at the death throes of the relatively benign Christian religion, let’s not forget Hilaire Belloc’s menacing rhyme: ‘Always keep a-hold of nurse – For fear of finding something worse.” (Richard Dawkins was saying that Europe rejoices by ridding itself of Judeo-Christian morality. However, he fears what Europe will to replace it with, which might be worse than the former.)